Essential Health Benefits
What are essential health benefits?
One important protection included in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is the establishment of a package of essential health benefits that must be included in every health insurance plan.
The essential health benefits are:
- Ambulatory patient services, such as doctor's visits and outpatient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care