Our Asthma Program helps members with asthma breathe easier.
As an NHP member, you’re never alone when it comes to your health. If you have asthma, or find it difficult to breathe, we can help. First, some questions:
- Have you missed work, or has your child missed school, because of asthma?
- Do you feel you are coughing or wheezing too much?
- Are you not sleeping well because of your asthma?
- Do you need to go to the emergency room often because of your asthma?
- Are you using your quick-relief medicine (albuterol) on most days?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, NHP's Asthma Care Manager can work with you and your doctor to find the treatment plan that works best for you.
We can also help you:
- Understand all your medicines.
- Help your child learn the proper way to use an inhaler.
- Learn what causes asthma attacks at home.
- Find out how smoking can make your (or your child's) asthma worse. To access our Asthma Program, call NHP Customer Service at 1-800-462-5449 (toll-free) and ask to speak to the NHP Asthma Care Manager, or call your Primary Care Provider.
NHP members with asthma—help yourself to the following resources:
- Take Charge of Asthma! Explore the top ways to control asthma with help from your doctor and NHP
- Vaccinations (Immunizations) Keeping track of vaccinations is especially important for people with asthma.
- Help quitting smoking: Members who have asthma, or whose children have asthma, are encouraged to take advantage of NHP's Quit Smoking Program to obtain free counseling and Nicotine Replacement Therapy (gum or patch).
- Massachusetts Asthma Action Plan Control your child's asthma with the Asthma Action Plan. Bring this tool to your child's next doctor visit.