Managing your Asthma
NHP's Asthma Program
NHP's Asthma Program helps members take charge of their asthma.
- Have you missed work, or has your child missed school, because of asthma?
- Do you feel you are coughing or wheezing too much?
- Are you not sleeping well because of your asthma?
- Do you need to go to the emergency room often because of your asthma?
- Are you using your quick-relief medicine (albuterol) on most days?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, NHP's asthma nurse can work with you and your doctor to find the treatment plan that works best for you.
We can also help you:
- Understand all your medicines.
- Help your child learn the proper way to use an inhaler.
- Learn what causes asthma attacks at home.
- Find out how smoking can make your (or your child's) asthma worse.
If you are a member, call NHP Customer Care Center at 800-462-5449 (toll-free) and ask to speak to the NHP asthma nurse, or call your Primary Care Provider.
Resources for members with asthma
- Take Charge of Asthma!
Better ways to control asthma with help from your doctor and NHP
- Vaccinations (Immunizations)
Keeping track of vaccinations is especially important for people with asthma. Click here for information about NHP's vaccination and allergy shots coverage.
- Quit Smoking
Smoking can worsen asthma symptoms. Members who have asthma, or whose children have asthma, are encouraged to take advantage of NHP's Quit Smoking Program to obtain free counseling and Nicotine Replacement Therapy (gum or patch).
- Massachusetts Asthma Action Plan
Control your child's asthma with the Asthma Action Plan! Bring this tool to your child's next doctor visit.